Friday, January 13, 2012

LONDON.

whoa. I'm here. the best city in the world.
warning, this post will be short. it's almost 1 am, and I'm worn stinking out. 
I feel like I've been waiting my whole life to be here and do this and be this person.
And now here I am. Being and doing. 
The only way this can be explained is God. it's because of Him that I got accepted, that the money came in, that we got here safely, and that all the experiences of my life have been building up to this, which is building up to something else. so crazy. 
Yesterday, we arrived in London at 7 am, London time. We ended up being awake for 34 straight hours, because of the time change and flight weirdness. It got to some of us, cause A couple girls got sick when we got here, I guess from the crazy traffic in a big bus & jet lag & airplane food. but I was OK! :) I was thanking God that I wasn't in their shoes. It's weird that I'm finally in England, but it's awesome. In the bus between Gatwick & here we saw Parliament, Big Ben, the London Eye, the River Thames... all those lovely famous places which we have yet to explore.
we are at THE VERY TOP FLOOR of the hotel. so lugging the suitcases up was a feat, but we made it.
Yesterday, Dr. Parks fell and dislocated his shoulder. He is all right now- went to the hospital and got it put back in place, along with a sling and some pain meds. But he's his usual chipper/persevering self and met us for a pizza dinner after the incident and took us to hear Big Ben chime on the hour and see Westminster Abbey and the London Eye all lit up. we also got our Oyster cards (tube & bus passes) and rode the tube for the first time. SO FUN!
Guys, I know this is weird, but I feel like my whole life has just been waiting for me to be here. I love it so much. 
No one wears make up, and everyone just makes up their own fashion and doesn't care what other people think (not to mention the fantastic history & landmarks). We're reading a George Orwell essay called "England, Your England" to prepare for Brit. Lit. and it states several times that England is much more millions of individuals than it is a single nation, and I so agree with that. Of course they're a nation and are unified in the love of their country, but everyone is so diverse, and they do what they want. 

Today we went on a "tube rallye" and took the underground & buses to basically ever possible inch of downtown London learning where things were and how everything works. We were out 6.5 hours but it was SO FUN! I feel like a true Englander now. Tonight we went to see the musical Guys & Dolls, which of course I loved. a ton. and now, here we are sitting in the hotel lobby. at 1 AM. all trying to facebook and skype our families. feeling the tube rumble a hundred feet under our feet.
I know this all sounds silly and doesn't make much sense. but I absolutely adore every second of it. 


Fun facts: every single house has weather vanes. the accents are AWESOME, duh. customs was really mean & scary. the driving here is crazy like Ecuador, everyone's really close and you think you're going to crush pedestrians and small cars. 

3 comments:

Ana Smith said...

I'm so happy for you, and a bit jealous, I only got to spend 2 weeks there. I had a similar experience being awake for 36 hours my first day-not fun! The tube is fun, just not at rush hour when you're packed in like sardines. Make sure you ALWAYS know where your Oyster card is! :-)

The accents are cool, especially in London because it's so international you here so many other languages. I was scared to death of the traffic, esp. in double decker's so I got to where I definitely preferred the tube.

Make sure that before you leave you hear the Matins at St. Paul's and see a play at the Globe. Window shop at Fortnum and Mason's and try their overpriced but the best ice cream you will ever eat. Spend a whole day at the National Gallery. Then take another day just at the V&A. Drink lots of tea and eat lots of scones and clotted cream. Try the food at a few pubs, they have the best cheap food.

I'm sure you've already realized this, but you need to double a a restaurant L price to roughly estimate how many US$ it is. It comes out about right because of the exchange rate and exorbitant taxes.

Go to church one Sunday at the Tab. They remodeled the inside during the 70's, so it's hideous, but the facade is still Victorian and gorgeous and they have a very interesting/old-fashioned/Reformed Baptist service, seeing how it's Spurgeon's old church.

See the crown jewels!

Go shopping on Portabello.

Kensington is cool, especially if you've seen the Young Victoria and they have awesome rotating costume exhibits. Take a look in the Orangery there even if you can't afford the food, such gorgeous Georgian architecture.

If you can't make a side trip to Bath and get a Jane Austen fix, go to Greenwich. It's close to London and used in a lot of JA films because of the Georgian architecture.

Sorry for rambling!

Meg said...

CORDELIA!!!
I told Michelle-I am still sitting here just so excited you are there. I know it is ALL God and that is what makes it so so awesome. I am so glad that you are finally there-and I know it happened perfectly in timing of your life. I am praying for you SO SO SO SO much dear-it's ridiculous. I miss you so much but I know you are going to have a life changing experience and I can't wait to see what you come back like! Keep blogging- this girl will be regularly checking the blog to keep up with you and Michelle-and I have your schedule in front of me :D I'M A CREEP :)
LOVE YOU!
BE SAFE!
DON'T GET LOST TOO MUCH :)

beccaboo said...

thanks for the comments, friends! Ana, your words of advice are EXTREMELY APPRECIATED! I'm about to copy them down so I can remember it all. Meg, your prayers & enthusiasm are so uplifting. Thank you, dear creeper. ;)

the loss

CW/TW: pregnancy and miscarriage  Today is Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day. I’ve thought about how to word this for so long, debat...