Saturday, April 27, 2013

the shaping and the waiting

Do you ever get that odd feeling that God is moving in a huge way, and you just don't understand how or why or what He's doing yet? I've felt like this for about a month now. He's been revealing a lot of little day-to-day changes that need to be made lately, that seem less "important" but are shaping me so much more than I realized.
For instance: I really like hulu and netflix. It's definitely a problem, because at least 5 days a week I spend an hour watching The Office or Bones or something equally addicting. I'm not saying TV or entertainment is bad, I'm saying it's bad when those things take up valuable time that could be spent more effectively. If I'm as serious about God and spreading His Gospel as I say and think I am, shouldn't I be spending that time digging into Him instead of laughing at mildly inappropriate jokes and getting scared out of my wits in the name of murder mystery?
Something is so wrong with this picture.
Aside from His gentle guidance in the "HOW BECCA SPENDS HER TIME" category, there are many other weird little things He's been doing lately.
I recently finished a book titled The Traveler's Gift by Andy Andrews. In this book, the main character is a middle aged father of one daughter and husband to one. He pours himself into his job trying to pursue the 'american dream' and one day finds himself contemplating suicide and purposefully driving off the road into a tree on his way home from work one day. He blacks out (obviously) and wakes up in the presidential quarters of Harry Truman during the closure of World War II. It turns out he's on this journey visiting seven historical figures who all know he is coming to 'visit' them and write him letters of advice and wisdom in advance. The people he meets and lessons he learns are as follows:
{Harry Truman- The buck stops here. I am responsible for my own future and must accept responsibility for ALL my actions. I will not let my history determine my destiny.}
{King Solomon- I will seek wisdom. Wisdom waits to be gathered, and I will seek her out. I will surround myself with positive influences who counsel me well.}
{Colonel Joshua Chamberlain - I am a person of action. When others run away because the odds are against them, I will fight for my cause.}
{Christopher Columbus - I have a decided heart. Other people may think I am crazy, but my heart is set on specific goals and I will continue hoping and being steadfast in my decisions. "Those who are critical of my goals and dreams simply do not understand the higher purpose to which I have been called."}
{Anne Frank- Today I will choose to be happy. Life may not be wonderful, but I can change my outcome by changing my perspective on it.}
{Abraham Lincoln- I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit. God rarely uses a person whose main concern is what others are thinking, therefore I must forgive myself and others so that my energy can be focused on what matters.}
{The angel Gabriel- I will persist without exception. There are too many things that never happen because people give up on attempting or praying or hoping. I will continue attempting and praying and hoping and not give up until I achieve what I am striving for.}

I'm not trying to be overdramatic or facetious when I say this book changed my life, because it did. Ultimately, my thought process has been drastically changed, and there is rarely a moment in any day now when I am NOT thinking about something I read in the book, whether it be one of the lessons or a story from one of the noteworthy figures. God used Mr. Andrews' book to remind me: I AM DIFFERENT FROM THOSE AROUND ME FOR A REASON. I have quirks and talents and strengths and weaknesses and such because somewhere along the line, God is going to use it. I am not your average 20-year-old college girl, consumed with fashion magazines and TV shows and dating around. I'd prefer to listen to classical music, make up words, whisper sonnets under my breath, and learn about other cultures. Sure, that makes me weird, but it is for a very specific reason that God has made me the weirdo that I am. The fact that I've reached this point of realization this early in my life compared to most of the world is a little bit stunning and such a God-thing I can't even begin to wrap my mind around it.
I'm beginning to see that there is something about the way God made ME that is completely unique from the rest of the world. I was not made to be normal or to do and like what every else does and likes.  I was made for a bigger purpose than that. God has a specific, life-changing, world-changing calling for ME and ME ALONE that is waiting to be sought after if I could just get my act together and be serious about my God's whispers of instruction.
I guess I went through all that to say, I am perched on my little tree branch and ready to take flight when He tells me about this huge thing He's doing. I will not sit stagnantly, I will move and work and serve while I wait, but I am seeking His instruction and being re-shaped my His masterful hand as we go.

1 comment:

Meg said...

love love love love love love love love love love.

the loss

CW/TW: pregnancy and miscarriage  Today is Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day. I’ve thought about how to word this for so long, debat...