Wednesday, June 01, 2011

face vs. hands?

Ps. 27:8 says (in Becca language), You spoke into my heart to seek Your face. So here I go: I'm seeking Your face.
I love this verse so much I actually made it my phone background (big deal, to beat a picture of my adorable 5-month-old nephew out). I've been dwelling on it ever since I read it in my quiet time a couple days back, then tonight at church, our worship pastor said something in passing I don't think he even realized he said (which makes it even more of a God-thing). He said, "I pray that we would seek His face before we seek His hand." and boom. I didn't hear anything else for the next 60 seconds. God had me.
read Psalm 27:7-9 (in context). David (the author of this Psalm) is begging God to hear his prayers and answer them. and in the midst of David's cries that God would answer his requests, God simply speaks in His heart, "Seek my face." (oh boy, this is getting bigger as I type. oh boy, God is speaking). notice, He doesn't tell David, "Study the scriptures more often," or "Go make sacrifices first." He simply says "Seek my face." and although I know it is wrong to add to scripture, sometimes I think inferring thoughts is a necessary process. and here, it seems as though God was emphasizing face. I don't know, I could be wrong. but think about it.
how often to we come to God begging Him to move in our lives when we haven't spent time facedown in His presence seeking His will over our own? that happens for me A. LOT.
maybe God was saying, "Instead of seeking my hands to move in your life and achieve your hopes and wishes, why don't you just seek my face? Seek to know me more, to be intimate with me?... Seek my FACE."
I can see the lightbulb moment happening for David. OHHHHHH. Your face. okay, God. seek your face? I'll do it. If that's your desire for me, I'll do it. But please don't turn your face from me in the meantime. I've messed up, and I was selfish to ask what you could do for me before I sought out what your Heart for me in this was. But God, don't turn from me in anger. Please don't forsake me or abandon me, You've helped me so much and I need Your continual help. Take me in, no one else will.
Do you get this, reader? Can your heart comprehend it? I pray that it impacts you as much as it just did for me. And I pray that we'll always seek His face above all else.

1 comment:

Tori said...

I love, love, LOVE your blog!!! Check mine out. I think we have a lot in common. :) God Bless

the loss

CW/TW: pregnancy and miscarriage  Today is Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day. I’ve thought about how to word this for so long, debat...