Tuesday, December 22, 2009

love unawakened

{{the love unawaked blog is: www.jenniferandkathryn.blogspot.com}}

"A couple weeks ago, Kat asked me to write about my experience of having a pure relationship, to share it with all yall that read Love Unawakened. I'm gonna be honest, I'm not the greatest writer, and not the most amazing person. But I believe that God has worked in my life so much, not only for my sake, but so I can share his great deeds with others! Back in March, I re-met a guy I'd known from a couple years back.. We eventually found each other on facebook and started talking. To make a long story short, he asked me out 3 months later. He was very sweet and gentlemanly, complimented me a lot, and I started thinking that he was "the one". Now, I'd made a purity pledge back in middle school and was sticking to it. The thing was, he lived about an hour or so away from me, so we didn't get to see each other face-to-face that often. Needless to say, the temptations to risk purity in our relationship were almost nonexistent because we rarely saw each other, so that ended up being a good thing. He told me that he thought I was the girl that God wanted him to marry, and many other sweet things along those lines. And I ate up every single word he said. After having been his girlfriend for about 4 months, we went to the movies one day. It was our first "date" without other friends with us, but our moms were still there (mostly because our families barely knew each other). We got in there, and were able to sit by ourselves up in the top of the theater. And here is where I want to point something out to you- it IS possible to be dating, and go to the movies together and not be putting your virginity on the line. I know you hear that you shouldn't sit in a dark movie theater alone with your boyfriend, and I agree with that. Too many things can happen. But I also think a lot of times, you can choose what you will and won't do. And there is NOTHING whatsoever that can make you give in to temptation. You can say no. It will be hard... but you can. That day in the movies, he held my hand for the first time. He is the only guy I have ever held hands with, besides my family. And that was the only time we held hands. I loved it... but after we broke up, that was the one part that kept playing itself over and over in my head. I can't imagine how hard it is for those who kiss each other, or go all the way, to get over their "other half" after breaking up. Knowing how hard it was for me to move past simply holding hands with a young man makes me realize just how precious those physical intimacies are, and how imperative it is to save that for your future spouse! Please don't get me wrong.... I'm not condemning those who have gone farther than I have, or saying that it's wrong to kiss your boyfriend. I believe God gives each of us certain boundaries that we shouldn't cross, and that sex should be saved by all until marriage. But I want to encourage you to save those special moments for whoever you get married to. Each time you let one of those out, you're awakening a little more love. Just like Song of Solomon 8:4 says, “Daughters of Jerusalem, I charge you: Do not arouse or awaken love until it so desires.” Remember that God did create us to love that closeness we share with other people, but that there are certain lines that shouldn’t be crossed. If you haven’t done so yet, I strongly urge each of you to sit down and make a list of your convictions- basically what you will and won’t do. It may include “I won’t have sex until I get married”, “I won’t listen to suggestive music” or “I will pray daily for my future spouse and his/her purity”. Let God lead you to what He knows is best for you. He has a wonderful plan for you that he longs to see unfold, if you’ll just follow Him!"


No comments:

the loss

CW/TW: pregnancy and miscarriage  Today is Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day. I’ve thought about how to word this for so long, debat...