Sunday, August 28, 2011

milk to meat.

So lately, I've been reading Hebrews. and man! There is so much big stuff here that I have missed in the past. not too long ago, God blew my mind with the concept of Atonement and His Mercy Seat (I really don't have time to go into detail about that now, though, so if you wanna know, Read Heb. 2, especially v. 14-18. look up atonement in a bible dictionary. and mercy seat. it'll exhaust you.) so anyway, last night I was reading and came across chapter 5, verses 12-14. listen to this.
"For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again the basic principles of the oracles of God. You need milk, not solid food, for everyone who lives on milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, since he is a child. But solid food is for the mature, for those who have their powers of discernment trained by constant practice to distinguish good from evil."
the crazy thing about Hebrews is that it pretty much speaks for itself. there is little metaphorical action going on, no hidden messages. it's just right there for you. like in this passage. 
and geez, Paul, way to convict me.
you should be teaching people by now, he says, but instead what are you doing? you're still being spoon-fed this basic faith. you're still on processed food, not good, solid, substantial meals. that means you're not familiar with living out your faith and striving for godliness each day. good food is for the people who've spent time and energy training themselves in godliness, and training themselves to tell good apart from evil.
and for some reason this impacts me even more because of my recent soft-foods-only-diet because my wisdom teeth surgery left me sore and now, a week and a half later, it's STILL hard to chew anything harder than fresh bread or a soft cookie. it's weird, because even after day one I was tired of eating yogurt, pudding, and mashed potatoes. and here I am, still eating them (though I feel like I probably could get away with harder foods, it hurts to eat them). 
yet isn't that how I am spiritually? being spoon-fed Christianity by going to church regularly and attending a Christian university is all too easy. I should be out there, helping others lay the basis of the faith and striving for godliness, but I am still staying on the safe side. I'm avoiding things that make me feel awkward, uncomfortable, and inadequate, instead of embracing them and how they sharpen my faith. I avoid them because they hurt. I find it easier to settle for the sermons and chapel discourses. I find it easier to get my daily Word from some song on the Christian radio station.
and while those things ARE good, I find myself quickly replacing the Best thing (God's Word and my daily quiet time) with good things (volunteering at service organizations, listening to Christian music, and reading devotionals). I've stopped training myself in godliness. I've gotten 'out of shape' spiritually and I need to get back.
last week at church, Brother David was talking about getting healthy- both physically and spiritually. he mentioned briefly how we are far too easily satisfied with eating spiritual 'junk food'. while I don't consider myself on to feed on spiritual junk food much, I all too often eat the processed stuff. I trick myself into thinking it's still good for me- it's DERIVED from the Bible! that makes it healthy. well, friends, there are plenty of foods out there that are DERIVED from healthy fruits, vegetables, and proteins, but does that make them healthy? Not in the least. Sadly, we Americans often feast on the spiritual Mac-n-Cheese and Burgers and Fries, while we are being offered Steak & Steamed Veggies and satisfying, stick-to-your-stomach Oatmeal. 
my question is simply this, friends: what are you feeding your soul?

2 comments:

Meg said...

Becca. Gosh that is quite convicting. I agree. We get so caught up in other things that ARE good, but not GOD's WORD. Good blog. hmmm. I need to go read THE BIBLE and not some book about the bible.
Conviction.

Jennifer R said...

Awesome post!

the loss

CW/TW: pregnancy and miscarriage  Today is Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day. I’ve thought about how to word this for so long, debat...