Thursday, July 14, 2011

the burning basement

So I'm reading this book, Chasing Elephants: Wrestling with the Gray Areas of Life. It's talking about freedom in Christ and how being made free leads us to be responsible to minister to others and implore their reconciliation with God. It uses the analogy of having plans with a friend to hang out... You drive up to their house to pick them up and see thick black smoke billowing out of the basement. Do you drive past and say, "Oh well, I guess I'll have to find someone else to hang out with, that guy is toast."? Never. You stop your car, run in, and try to rescue them from certain death! It's the same way with sharing the urgency of reconciliation with Christ. "The house is on fire, and people all around us are doomed to eternity separated from God if we don't warn them to reconcile with him while they still can," the book states. I can't help but think of a few specific friends of mine that I know haven't experienced Christ's true salvation. They can talk about Jesus all day, pray for things with a little humor to make light of the situation, and maybe even tell you a few bible stories. But when it comes down to it, they are spending an eternity separated from Christ. I can't help but imagine them sitting in the burning building catching up on Facebook, and when Christ comes in to their rescue, they sit there telling him how cool it is that he would try to help them, and how he must be really brave, and so on... All the while they come closer to the deathly flames. Am I going to sit by and let them slowly burn, or am I going to implore them to be made right with God? It's a convicting thought, not one that I necessarily like to be met with. Nonetheless, it's reality. One that I am going to let change me. 

2 comments:

Tori said...

This might seam a little weird, but I love your blog soooo much! I now I have said that a lot but I really do. Even though I've never even met you before i look up to you a lot as a Christian and blogger.
Keep bloggin!!
Love,
Tori

Anonymous said...

I noticed that book in Barnes and Noble the other day... after reading this post, I really want to go pick it up.
Thank you for opening your heart up, dear! I miss you.

the loss

CW/TW: pregnancy and miscarriage  Today is Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day. I’ve thought about how to word this for so long, debat...